AB2ETeens: VOLUNTEER ! Click here for more information on this community service opportunity.
CALL FOR TEACHING ARTISTS!
Art for Change Children’s Art Studio
Art for Change Gallery, 1699 Lexington Avenue, Lower Level, New York, NY
First Saturday of EVERY Month, 1:30-3:30pm
FREE & open to ages 4-12
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: Art for Change Children’s Art Studio is a fun, hands-on community arts workshop program for youth and families to create art together and continue East Harlem’s rich cultural traditions! Art for Change collaborates with dedicated artists and educators to lead a new art project on the first Saturday of every month, free and open to the public, as well as for community events and student groups. Workshops draw on themes of cultural heritage, diversity, empowerment, and embracing change to strengthen critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills, bridging cultures and inspiring positive change in individuals and communities along the way.
INSTRUCTORS: Teaching artists will receive a $50 stipend per workshop and reimbursement for art materials. Art for Change will provide basic supplies such as scissors, glue, markers, colored pencils, and crayons, but all other materials should be included in the estimated budget. Bilingual Spanish-speaking teaching artists are a plus, but not required.
HOW TO SUBMIT A PROPOSAL: email your proposals or questions to Kathleen Sowle (firstname.lastname@example.org) or contact: 646-290-7688. Include “Your Name: Art for Change Workshop” in the subject line.
- Contact Info (name, email address, phone number, mailing address)
- Images from past workshops and/or website link
- Materials list and estimated budget
- Detailed description of your workshop and final art project
- Learning objectives and art project goals (e.g. participants will learn about the cultural significance of piñatas, incorporate media images to explore social justice issues in their art-making process, and create their own piñata to take home)
- How will workshop results be measured? (i.e. completed project, documentation of workshop)
- If you are multilingual, please indicate which languages
- Make it FUN, consider attention spans, and keep kids actively participating!
- Suitable for ages 4-12 and all ability levels
- Recycled or re-purposed materials are encouraged
- Plan for prep-time and please arrive at least 30 minutes before your workshop! Have your materials ready before the workshop starts, allow time for setting up the space, handing out the materials, the children settling in, and questions
Thank you in advance for your time, creativity, and enthusiasm for Art for Change Children’s Art Studio that will support the future of the arts and our community’s young artists! We look forward to working with you!